If you read my last post “Definitely in Bitch Mode”, you know I’ve not been feeling my best this week. Neglecting self-care adds up fast to my becoming a cranky mess of a person.
While I was focused on figuring out what I needed to take better care of myself, I also started thinking of things that make me happy. I mean self care is great, but eating some vegetables or working out doesn’t necessarily make me happy. They make me feel better, but not happy.
So I sat down and listed out everything I could think of that makes me feel truly happy. Here they are in no particular order:
- Being out and about with no agenda, where I don’t need to be anywhere at any specific time. The total freedom of being able to do whatever the fuck I want is euphoric.
- Swinging on a swing set
- Getting lost in a good book, movie or show without interruptions
- Cuddling with the dog or cat.
- Deep discussions with my daughter. Sharing our opinions on issues in the world or analyzing movies or books or just expressing what we are feeling in that immediate moment.
- A clean house. Not cleaning, mind you, but being in the house when it’s all done.
- Relaxing with a cup of tea
- People watching
- Coming up with a game plan to address some issue. Again, not implementing the game plan, but coming up with the steps that need to be taken to tackle the issue. Yeah, I know, I’m screwed up.
- Sharing a good laugh (one where your cheeks hurt from smiling or laughing so hard tears start rolling)
- Sleeping in
- Walking through a beautiful garden or sitting by a body of water
- Watching koi fish swimming in a pond
- Being at a concert and looking out over the crowd and seeing a sea of people all bonding over the love of the music and the artist.
- Walking out into the sunshine after having been indoors for too long or in an over air-conditioned building. That moment when the sun first hits your skin.
Looking over this list there is somewhat of a common theme. I am happiest when I’m relaxed and not overly stimulated.
Since I’m in dire need of some downtime anyway, I’m using this list for inspiration on how to spend the weekend.
Your turn, make a list of things that make you happy. Is there a common thread like mine? I would love for some of you to share your lists with me in the comments below. Or post some pictures on the Tea With Traci Facebook page doing some of the things from your list.
Currently planning my trip to the Japanese Gardens tomorrow to be mesmerized by the koi.