If you have to play a hundred mind games to get any exercise in at all or to complete a workout, you aren’t alone. I have very little discipline in this area. But I found some tips on how to sneak the exercise into your day before you’re really aware you getting it. Lazy people unite!
Get in More Steps
- If you have to go outside for any reason (take out the trash, pick up the newspaper, check the mail, etc.) then before going back in take a quick lap around the block or up and down the driveway.
- Park farther away from work, restaurants, stores, etc.
- Use all or part of your lunch hour to take a brisk walk.
- If you are watching your kids at soccer practice or even during a game, walk around the field instead of just sitting on the bleachers.
- After dinner take the puppy and/or the kids out for a stroll around the neighborhood.
- At work, use the restroom on another floor.
- Stand up and pace during conference calls.
- Take stairs at every opportunity.
Amp Up Chores
- Play music while cleaning and dance your way through your cleaning routine.
- Jump on a rebounder for a minute in between cleaning tasks.
- Set a timer for each task and do it as fast as you can.
- Hand-wash the dishes.
- Walk in place while you are folding the laundry.
Begin the Day with Movement
- When you first get out of bed, do some stretching.
- Make your bed.
- Do squats while brushing your teeth.
- Angled push-ups while your coffee is brewing.
- Do jumping jacks until you break a sweat before getting in the shower.
- Do sit-ups or push-ups during commercials while watching TV.
- Run through a yoga routine before bed. You can find good ones on YouTube.
- Substitute your office chair for a stability ball at home and at work.
- When you take the kiddos to the playground, play on the equipment with them.
- Do squats or angled push-ups while waiting for the microwave.
Any other suggestions for moving more throughout the day? Share in the comments below.
Ready, Set, Go!