If you read my last post “Definitely in Bitch Mode”, you know I’ve not been feeling my best this week. Neglecting self-care adds up quickly to my becoming a cranky mess of a person.
While I was focused on figuring out what I needed to take better care of myself, I also started listing things that make me happy. I mean self care is great, but eating some vegetables or working out doesn’t necessarily make me happy. They make me feel better, but not happy.
I’m hoping by writing them down, I’ll remember to start doing more of these things. Here they are in no particular order:
- Being out and about with no agenda. No one is expecting me, I have no obligations except to myself and indulging in whatever whim strikes me. The freedom of being able to do whatever the fuck I want is euphoric.
- Swinging on a swing set
- Getting lost in a good book, movie or show without interruptions
- Cuddling with the dog or cat.
- Deep discussions with my daughter. Sharing our opinions on issues in the world, analyzing movies or books, or just expressing what we are feeling in that moment.
- A clean house. Not cleaning, mind you, but being in the house when it’s all done.
- Relaxing with a cup of tea
- People watching
- Coming up with a game plan to address some issue. Again, not implementing the game plan, but coming up with the steps that need to be taken to tackle the issue. Yeah, I know, I’m screwed up.
- Sharing a good laugh (one where your cheeks hurt and tears roll down your face)
- Sleeping in
- Walking through a beautiful garden or sitting by a body of water
- Watching koi fish swimming in a pond
- Being at a concert and looking out over the crowd and seeing a sea of people all bonding over the love of the music and the artist.
- Walking out into the sunshine after having been indoors for too long or in an overly air-conditioned building. That moment when the sun first hits your skin.
Looking over this list there is somewhat of a common theme. I am happiest when I’m relaxed and not overly stimulated.
Since I’m in dire need of some downtime anyway, I’m using this list for inspiration on how to spend the weekend.
It’s now your turn. Make a list of things that make you happy. Is there a common thread like mine? Please share some of your items in the comments below. Or post some pictures on the Tea With Traci Facebook page doing things from your list.
Currently planning my trip to the Japanese Gardens tomorrow to be mesmerized by the koi.